February 27, 2017
1. Thank you to all the MS/HS students who volunteered at the elementary carnival Friday night!
2. HS Girls Basketball banquet is tomorrow night at 6:00 in Baxter.
3. The Speech Club traveled to Des Moines East High School on Saturday, February 25th. All of the members did a great job representing Collins-Maxwell and, for many, challenged themselves in new categories. But out of the seven members, two qualified for the Individual State Speech Festival. Micayla Applegate clenched an overall one in Poetry Interpretation with her piece titled, Somewhere in America", and Jack Cheville earned an overall one in Solo Improvisation where he had to create a scene from two random characters and one setting.
4. The Junior class is selling Spartan Bags & Blankets! The order forms were sent out to everyone a few weeks ago but there are some in the office or see Abbie Ericson for forms or any questions you may have. The due date is March 10th!
5. StreetSmarts will be the company we will be using for Drivers Education. Gary Smith will still be teaching. The program will run from April 5-May 6 on Wednesday evenings from 6-9pm and Saturday mornings from 9am-noon. Also, there is a mandatory meeting with parents on April 5 starting at 6pm.
Classes will take place at Collins-Maxwell Middle/High School. Specific room details will be sent out by Mr. Smith after registration is complete.
Registration is done online at streetsmartsdriversed.com or by calling 515-279-1112.
6. This year’s Dinner Theater (formerly known as Lasagna Dinner) will be March 11th and will see a few changes. Join the Collins-Maxwell Music Department for an evening of music and dining. Tickets are on sale and can be purchased in the Middle/High School Office. Dinner tickets are $10, with bleacher seats for $5. Checks can be made payable to Collins-Maxwell Music Boosters. Doors will open at 5:30, with dinner served at 6:00 and performances to follow. Menu will be:
7. Reminder Boy's Basketball banquet will be Monday, February 27 @ 6:30 in Baxter West Commons. Please bring a free-will donation for the meal.
8. ATTENTION ALL HIGH SCHOOL BOYS PLANNING TO BE OUT FOR TRACK & FIELD
- Team practice will start Monday, February 27 at after school in Baxter!
Reminder to C-M track boys who were in basketball...your parent needs to email Mrs. Fricke so you can stay in Baxter for the basketball banquet after practice this coming Monday. We will be done in time to shower before your banquet, so bring a change of clothes with you. Thanks!!
9. The preseason meeting for HS Boys Soccer will be Tuesday, February 28 at Maxwell from 3:45-4:30.
10. HS Girls Soccer will be having their pre-season meeting on Tuesday, February 28 at Maxwell in the commons from 3:30-4:30.
11. HS Girls track practice starts Feb.27th.
12. In the office is a sign up sheet for the All Male Dance group for Spring Show this year. Please sign up with your Tshirt size by Friday. Spring Show is March 25th.
13. Two more Discover DMACC Days focusing on Education and Engineering are coming up...March 23rd and March 29th. See Mrs. Allen for more info!
14. ***CMB MS Softball Pitching Clinic!***
Who: Any 7th and 8th grade girls interested in pitching!
What: Pitching Clinic with Laurie Gowdy, former Simpson All American pitcher!
Where: Baxter Gym (West)
When: 12:45-2:30 Sunday, March 12, 19, and 26th.
Needs: Please contact Coach Berry to reserve a spot! We will accept pitchers through March 3rd. Hope to see you there! (email@example.com)
15. The ChaMps Dodgeball Tournament is this Friday 7th & 8th periods. The top three teachers with the most points will get pied that day! The top three players that win the tournament will get to pie the teachers. Let's enjoy each other's company and the rest of the school year!
16. Retired Georgetown University professor, Dr. Frank Seydel, will be providing tutoring services during Tuesday school from 1:30-3:30 for middle and high school students. Dr. Seydel's expertise is in math and science. We hope this will be a semi regular opportunity for our students. If your student is interested please have them report to the ICN on Tuesdays at 1:30 or email Mrs. Allen to make arrangements.